In construction or DIY homemaking, having proper tools makes jobs efficient and fast. A screwdriver is one of the most important basic tools in any toolkit. There are many kinds and sizes of nails, so it’s most beneficial to have a good screwdriver set to meet any need that may arise. But there are many available on the market, and that can make finding the best screwdriver set a hard choice.
That is why we have created this article that compiles a list of the ten best screwdriver sets out on the market this year. We have also provided a short buying guide to answer some common questions regarding screwdrivers and what you should look for in a good screwdriver set. In this way, you can make an easier, informed decision before purchasing.
Screwdriver Set Buying Guide
1. What Is a Screwdriver?
A screwdriver is a handheld tool that is used to drive nails into a material or remove nails from a material manually. It consists of a handle, typically made of rubber, plastic, or some other harder material, and a straight metal shank. What differentiates each screwdriver is the shape of the head at the tip of the shank.
2. What Are the Types of Screwdrivers?
There are 14 main types of screwdrivers. What differentiates each screwdriver is the shape of the head at the tip of the shank.
The most commonly known is the slotted screwdriver, which is also known as a flat head, flat blade, or straight screwdriver. It has a chisel-shaped blade that spans the width of a screw’s head. Phillips head, also known as cross head, screwdrivers are another common screwdriver with an angled head resembling a plus sign.
Torx drivers are also known as star drivers because of the rounded off star shape on the end of the head. Hex drivers, also known as Allen wrenches, resemble a small hexagonal shape bent into an L-shape without a head. The Robertson driver, or square head driver, have a square head on the tip.
Some less commonly known screwdrivers include the clutch head, the Frearson, the hex socket, and the Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). Others include the Pozidrive, the spanner, the Tri-angle, the Tri-point, and the Tri-wing.
3. What Features Do I Look for In the Best Screwdriver Set?
When choosing a screwdriver set, you want to pay attention to the size of the kit, making sure that you have a good amount of pieces without compromising quality. Choose a handle with a good grip, rubber is the best, and a balanced, ergonomic design.
Try to get a set that has drivers with reinforced tips to protect against corrosion, such as diamond tips. Finally, it is best to get a set that comes with a storage box or folding bag included to make storage and transport easy.
How We Reviewed
We came up with this list of the best screwdriver sets after researching all the types and brands of screwdrivers, as well as reading countless positive and negative user reviews. After researching, we reviewed each set based on its features, pros and cons, price, and where it could be bought.
By comparing each set across these four categories, we could narrow down our list to the following top ten screwdriver sets, providing you with as accurate of a list as possible.
Overall Price Range
In general, screwdriver sets cost anywhere from around $10 to around $140. Some features included in higher-priced sets include more drivers, better materials, diamond coating, accessories, and more. We made sure to include a good range of prices so that anyone can find the best screwdriver set for their personal budget limitations.
What We Reviewed
- Includes 9 slotted screwdrivers: 3/32" x 1 1/2", 1/8" x 2", 1/8" x 4", 3/16" x 1 1/2", 3/16" x 4", 3/16" x 6", 3/16" x 9", 1/4" x 4", 1/4" x 6"
- Includes 7 Philips screwdrivers: #0 x 1 1/2", #0 x 2 1/2", #1 x 1 1/2", #1 x 3", #2 x 4", #2 x 6", #2 x 8"
- Includes 4 in 1 pocket keychain
The first of the best screwdriver sets on the list is the Craftsman 9-31794 Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set, which includes 9 slotted drivers and 7 Phillips drivers for a total of 16 screwdrivers. The drivers feature durable butyrate handles and a balanced design to reduce wrist strain.
Each blade is also heat-treated and attached directly to the handle, providing rust protection and a great fit for holding. The kit comes with a 4-in-1 pocket keychain and a lifetime warranty.
- Durable butyrate handles
- Balanced, sturdy design
- Heat-treated blades
- Comes with keychain
- Lifetime warranty
- No storage box
- Only includes two types of drivers
- Best for smaller jobs
- Hardened carbon steel shafts with black oxide finish
- Chrome plated alloy steel handles with non-slip knurled grips
- Free-turning end cap allows constant finger pressure while driving
- Hex and nut drivers with hole in handle for lever bar-assisted torque
- Set Includes: 6-pc. Flat: 1, 1.4, 2, 2.4, 3, 3.8 mm, 4-pc. Phillips: #0-2, #0, #1-2, #1-1, 3-pc. Hex: 1.5, 2, 2.5 mm, 3-pc. Nut Drivers: 3, 4, 5 mm, 1-pc. Organizer Case
The TEKTON 2987 Precision Screwdriver Set has 6 flathead drivers, 4 Phillips drivers, 3 hex drivers, and 3 nut drivers for a total of 16 pieces. If you’re looking for a durable yet affordable set, this is one of the best screwdriver sets you can purchase. The shafts are made of hardened carbon steel and have a black oxide finish, while the alloy steel handles are plated with chrome and feature non-slip knurled grips.
There’s a free-turning end cap that allows you to apply constant finger pressure while driving, and the nut and hex drivers have a hole in their handle for lever-bar assisted torque. The set comes with an organizer case.
- Very durable construction
- Good variety of drivers
- Free-turning end cap
- Comes with organizer case
- Case cracks easily
- Some users complain about the quality of certain drivers
- Set contains a comprehensive assortment of screwdrivers to get the job done
- Williams comfort grip handle with thumb stop allows for added turning power without discomfort of slippage
- Bahco's three component ergonomically designed handle provides comfort and maximum grip even with oily hands
The Williams 100P-19MD Premium Mixed Screwdriver Set comes with a total of 19 assorted pieces of Phillips and flathead drivers. The handles have an ergonomic design to reduce wrist strain and have a good grip so they won’t slip even if your hands are oily.
The added thumb stop on the handle allows you to apply more torque while keeping a balanced feel. The blades on the drivers are long, allowing you to get to hard-to-reach places. Each component of the driver handles are securely fastened together and the set comes with a pouch.
- Sturdy, ergonomic design
- Allows you to apply great torque
- Good grip
- Comes with a pouch
- Some blades are not centered on the drivers
- Swivel-head handles provide precision and reach
- Hardened and tempered steel blades
- Bright, plated shafts are fluted for a steady, solid grip
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Plastic storage case included
If budget is your main concern, then the Stanley 66-039 6-Piece Jewelers Precision Screwdriver Set may be the best screwdriver set for you. It comes with two Philips drivers and four slotted drivers. The drivers have hardened, tempered steel blades that are corrosion resistant and knurled, swivel-head handles for reach and precision.
The plated shafts are fluted to provide a solid, steady grip. The set comes with a plastic storage case and a limited lifetime warranty.
- Cheaply priced
- Corrosion-resistant blades
- Good grip
- Comes with plastic storage case
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Too big to be used for jewelry as description says
- Hinge on the plastic case is prone to breaking
- 🎁43 in 1 repair kits including 36 types of screwdriver bits which are suitable for Smartphone & PC and other tiny electronics. All the bits are magnetic, stably connect with the handle and easy to pick up screws and prevent screws from losing. Made of chrome-vanadium steel, srtong hardness, durable and precise.
- 36 sturdy screwdriver bits: Torx(2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10), Pentalobe(star)(0.8,1.2,1.5), slotted（1.0,1.5,2.0,2.5,3.03.5,4.0), Hex(0.9,1.3,1.5,2.0,2.5,3.0,3.5), Phillips(1.0,1.5,2.0,2.5,3.5), Mainboard Phillips(1.5), Tri-wing(0.8,2.0), U-shaped(2.6), Triangle(2.0)
- Non-slip handle for great comfort and precision. The 100mm extra extension bar to lengthen the handle, help you reach narrow places. Light weight:8.8 ounce. Small size case can be put in your pocket, bag. The OPEN button enables you to easily open the case.
- Wide variety: Reparing or opening iPhone 6/7/8/8 Plus/Xs/XR, Android Smartphone(Samsung, Sony, HUAWEI, LG, Motorola, Google, HTC) iPad, PC, Laptops, Electronics, Jewelers, Eye Glasses, Watches, Kid Toys, Home Appliances(such as Dyson, iRobot or Eureka's vacuum cleaner, Air Purifier and so on) and Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox or Gaming Controller.
- Warranty: All repair tools have 1 year warranty, 100% satisfaction and returns guaranteed
If you’re seeking a lot of drivers for a low price, the 43 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Kit JAKEMY may be the best screwdriver set for you. It has 9 Torx bits, 3 star bits, 6 slotted bits, 7 hex bits, 5 Phillips bits, and one each of the Mainboard Phillips, tri-wing, u-shaped, and triangle bits for a total of 36 bits. The bits are magnetic to connect with the single large handle provided. The kit also comes with a 100mm extension bar, a 3-pick opener, and a napery.
The drivers are made of chrome-vanadium steel for durability. The set is backed by a one-year warranty and comes with a small case that only weighs 8.8 ounces.
- Variety of bits
- Good accessories
- Durable, high-quality construction
- Comes with a storage case
- Big handle with ergonomic grip
- Cheaply priced
- Only a one-year warranty
- Case could be better quality
- 56 bits well selected by Vastar to repair modern electronics that serve various popular laptops, phones, game consoles and other electronics
- The smart phone repair kit, updated with 1x long plastic pry openers and 1x triangle pry openers, Tri-Wing 0.8 and CRV Torx 1.5, works for iPhone 8, 8 Plus, iPhone 7, 7 Plus and other cell phones
- Easy portability- professional portable hardware tools with perfect weight & compact design
- The Unique non slip driver in the market is machined from a single piece of aluminum, and cover with the Silica gel, it also with a ball bearing mounted swivel top to make the work more easily
- The flexible shaft is great for stereo work or other large electronics where all the screws are not on the surface
The Vastar Precision Screwdriver Set features an assortment of Phillips, Hex, flathead, and Torx bits for a total of 56 magnetic bits, providing great versatility. It also comes with long plastic pry openers, triangle pry openers, a smartphone repair kit, the Tri-Wing 0.8, and the CRV Torx 1.5 for a total of 62 pieces that make it one of the best screwdriver sets for use with cellphones, laptops, and other electronic devices.
It has a non-slip handle designed from a piece of aluminum covered with silica gel, and it also has a ball-bearing mounted swivel top to make work easier. The shaft is flexible, allowing it to reach difficult areas where screws are buried deeper, and it comes with a storage box.
- 62 total pieces
- Great for use with electronic devices
- Non-slip, ergonomic handle
- Flexible shaft
- Comes with a storage box
- Cheaply priced
- The magnet could be stronger
- The case could be better quality
- General purpose selection of the most frequently used screwdrivers
- Includes 8 Cushion Grip Screwdrivers, 1/4-Inch (6.4 mm) , 5/16-Inch (7.9 mm) Keystone, 5/16-Inch (7.9 mm) and 3/16-Inch (4.8 mm) Cabinet Tip, #1 Phillips, #2 Phillips Stubby, #2 Phillips, #3 Phillips
- Tip-Ident quickly identifies the screwdriver type and tip orientation
- Precision-machined tip for exact fit
- Premium chrome-plated for smooth feel and corrosion resistance
The Klein Tools 85078 Screwdriver Set comes with 4 Phillips drivers, 2 keystone tips, and 2 cabinet tip for a total of 8 drivers. The blades and shaft are heat-treated and plated with premium chrome for corrosion resistance and durability and are long to give more reach.
The large rubber handles are cushioned for comfort and allow you to apply more pressure. The drivers in the set feature Tip-Ident, which quickly identifies the screwdriver tip orientation and type, and have been precision-crafted by machine for a great fit. This set comes with a lifetime warranty and a plastic storage case.
- Durable, corrosion-resistant blades
- Large, ergonomic rubber handles
- Lifetime warranty
- More expensive than other kits
- No storage case included
- Ergonomic Aluminum Screwdriver:Well made screwdriver 100% made of metal, anti-slip area & swivel top provides best feeling in hand,telescopic shaft inside for longer slender reach.
- High Hardness Performance Bits:22 magnetic bits(weakness magnetic won't destroy your electronic products)made from alloy S2 steel, hardness heated treatment finished.
- Wide Application:mini screwdriver kit to repair electronics,laptops,phones,computer,desktops,smartphones,toys,iPhone,PC,game consoles and more.
- Long and Slim Bits:45mm-length screwdriver bits provide you reach screws in deep position.
- Portable and Handy Case:Collected by a durable box with perfect weight & compact design for easy carry,bits and handle selected firmly in the box,not fall out even stand upside down.please be careful when purchase that this case won't stay like the picture,it will be more clear to show the item by that picture.
The Nanch Small Precision Screwdriver Set is another magnetic set that contains 5 Phillips bits, 4 slotted bits, 3 Torx bits, 3 Security Torx bits, 2 Pentagonal bits, 2 hex bits, and one each of the Tri-wing, Triangle and SP bits for a total of 22 bits. The bits are made from alloy S2 heat-treated steel for hardness and durability and are 45mm long to allow you to reach more difficult areas.
The long, slender handle is made of milled aluminum and is ergonomically designed with a telescopic design, anti-slip area, extension shaft, and a free spinning cap for maximum control. The set comes with a durable storage case that also serves as a stand.
- Good variety of bits
- Durable construction
- Long, slender bits and handle
- Easy to reach difficult areas
- Comes with storage case
- The T4 bit could be machined better
- Magnet could be stronger
- Slotted screwdriver sizes available in 3/16" x 3", 1/4" x 4", and 5/16" x 6"
- Phillips screwdriver sizes available in #1 x 3", #2 x 4", and #3 x 6"
- Diamond-coated tips
- Offers 4 times more gripping power than standard black oxide-finished tips
Craftsman is known for their high-quality products, so it’s no surprise that they have another of the best screwdriver sets on the list with the Craftsman Extreme Grip Screwdriver Set. This set comes with three Phillips drivers and three slotted drivers for a total of six drivers.
The drivers have diamond coated magnetic tips, which offer up to four times more gripping power than black oxide tips, and the shanks are laser marked to help you find which driver you need easily. The handles are made of two materials and feature grooves for a comfortable grip and a special grip coating for more torque. They can be used by professionals and beginners alike.
- Diamond-coated tips
- For professionals or beginners
- Laser-marked shanks
- Ergonomic handles with great grip
- Diamond coating may flake off if used repeatedly
- Handle grip takes getting used to
- Minimizes Drops
- Reduces Wobbles & Breakage
- FlexTorq allows bits to flex up to 15 degrees
- 10x Magnetic Screw Lock system
- Minimizes drops and reduces wobbling
The DeWalt FlexTorq Screw Driving Set comes with an assortment of 2″ to 6″ bits for a total of 40 pieces. The bits are made out of High Speed Steel (HSS), and the FlexTorq feature allows them to flex up to 15 degrees, which combined greatly increases the durability and lifespan of the bits.
They come with a 10X magnetic screw lock system that allows for faster and better retention, and the bits are placed directly into the impact driver, reducing wobbling and minimizing drops. They set is backed by DeWalt’s 1-year warranty and comes with a storage case.
- Cheaply priced
- 40 bits
- FlexTorq feature and HSS construction make bits very durable
- 10X magnetic screw lock system
- Storage case included
- Some users have issues with pieces not fitting the picture
- Difficult to get bits out of the storage container
After comparing these ten screwdriver sets, we choose the Craftsman Extreme Grip Screwdriver Set as the best screwdriver set available this year. It comes with fewer drivers than some on the list, but the drivers included are the most common for household use.
It is the only set that has diamond coating on the tips of the drivers, making it highly durable. The drivers are all easy to use and laser marked, while the handles are ergonomic and allow you to apply more torque than most other drivers.
If you’re looking for a set for electronics and laptops, then we recommend the Vastar Precision Screwdriver set. Whichever you pick, you will get great value for your money.